Saturday, January 9, 2010

Cold Weather, a Roaring Fire and Hot Cocoa


The weather here has been VERY cold, at least for this part of the country. I just knew we would get to see some of the white stuff but only a few flakes showed up. Oh well, I guess that's just as well. I did get to have several roaring fires in the fireplace and while I love hot cocoa, I didn't want the calories that go with it. BUT I found this great recipe for homemade hot cocoa and oh my was it good.

1 tablespoon HERSHEY'S Cocoa
Dash salt
1 cup nonfat milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Sugar substitute with sweetening equivalence(Splenda) of 2 tablespoons sugar

Mix cocoa and salt in mug. Heat milk in microwave at HIGH (100%) 1-1/2 minutes or until hot. Gradually add hot milk to cocoa mixture in mug, stirring until well blended. Stir in vanilla and sugar substitute. 1 serving.
or you can use the recipe on the cocoa box and just substitute splenda for sugar and use non fat milk.
EVEN BETTER if you really want a rich taste mix about 1/3 cup of fat free half and half with 2/3 cup non fat milk.
So make up a mug of this and sit by the fire and relax.

0 comments:

Post a Comment